USA | 95 min.
1.85:1 OAR anamorphic
stereo and 5.1
• New HD transfer of the film officially licensed from Universal and presented in 1080p in its original aspect ratio
• Original stereo and 5.1 surround soundtracks, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio
• Music and effects track
• Audio commentary by Francis Ford Coppola
• On Location in Tulsa, a video piece featuring new and vintage interviews and behind-the-scenes footage
• The Percussion-Based Score, a video piece on the film’s soundtrack
• Six deleted scenes
• Original theatrical trailer
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hearing-impaired on the feature
• 40-PAGE BOOKLET featuring a 1983 interview with Coppola, the film’s original promotional notes, and rare archival imagery.
Francis Ford Coppola, 1983
In this second of Francis Ford Coppola’s back-to-back screen adaptations of novels by S. E. Hinton, the grand romanticism of The Outsiders was flipped to create an expressionist, monochrome vision of youthful passion and melancholy, and became one of Coppola’s most personal and dazzling works.
Against a run-down, industrial Tulsa, Oklahoma, Coppola presents a vivid portrait of troubled teenage gang leader Rusty James (Matt Dillon) as he struggles with cohorts, rival gangs, his frustrated girlfriend Patty (Diane Lane), his estranged father (Dennis Hopper), and the return of his idolised older brother The Motorcycle Boy (Mickey Rourke).
An audacious depiction of gang violence, dead-end lives, and the ties that bind, Rumble Fish remains a cult favourite and features magnificent cinematography by Stephen H. Burum, a Golden Globe-winning score by Stewart Copeland, and a remarkable cast that also includes Nicolas Cage, Chris Penn, Tom Waits, and Laurence Fishburne. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present the world-première release of Rumble Fish on Blu-ray.